Share:

Sen. Alexander, stop supporting Obama's war on coal!

Messages Sent So Far

(Not in Tennessee? Take action at our National Petition instead at www.WarOnCoal.com!)

In 2008, then-candidate Barack Obama explained his energy policy like this: “Under my plan of a cap-and-trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket. Even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad.” He went on to say: “So, if somebody wants to build a coal plant, they can — it’s just that it will bankrupt them.”

That’s really bad news for Tennessee, which relies on coal-fired power plants for 53 percent of its electricity. Yet, shockingly, Sen. Lamar Alexander is siding with Obama and his War on Coal.

The day after the 2010 election, Obama said: “Cap and trade was just one way of skinning the cat; it was not the only way. It was a means, not an end.”

Obama has used his Environmental Protection Agency bureaucrats to move forward on that plan. The linchpin is the “Utility Maximum Achievable Control Technology” rule, and it’s the most expensive EPA rule in history.

Fortunately, the Senate will soon have an opportunity to overturn the mercury rule when it votes on a resolution offered by Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla., under the Congressional Review Act, a specialized procedure that protects votes on overturning regulations from filibuster. The Inhofe resolution requires only 51 votes to invalidate the rule.

Unfortunately, Alexander has publicly stated that he will vote against the Inhofe resolution.  Worse, he is offering a phony bill that has no chance of passing, would only briefly delay the economic devastation of the Utility MACT rule, and serves no purpose but to attempt to provide himself and vulnerable Democrats with political cover for voting against the Inhofe Resolution.

That's wrong for Tennessee.

Urge Senator Lamar Alexander to reverse course on Utility MACT and stand up for Tennessee!

Public Comments
Jun 20th, 2012
leslie w. from Shelbyville, TN signed.
John K. from Kingsport, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Friends of Coal and domestic energy sources are critical to our country's financial health. We need more US domestic coal production now!!!
Someone from Whitwell, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
bye bye lamar, wish you and sotomayor can be together in hell.
Jun 20th, 2012
jim d. from Newport, TN signed.
Jun 20th, 2012
Someone from Kingsport, TN signed.
Jun 20th, 2012
Herbert K. from Germantown, TN signed.
Jun 20th, 2012
Vicki M. from Bluff City, TN signed.
Jun 20th, 2012
Cathy P. from Knoxville, TN signed.
Thomas P. from Knoxville, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Please!!! your lordship, no more..
Jerome R. from Lebanon, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Lamar, please reconsider this EPA/Obama war on coal. We all know that global warming is based on false science. We also know that human beings are NOT the cause of climate change. Coal is not our enemy, it can be burned clean, and until someone comes up with a better, less expensive and more efficient fuel, coal is still America's best source.
Ronald C. from Cookeville, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Senator Alexander: I was extremely dissapointed to hear that you are siding with Obama on the Coal issue. This will raise our electricity rates out of sight, especially for those of us on fixed incomes. It may come down to having electricity or medications. I only wish you were up for re-election this year so people won't forget when you run again!!!
Jun 20th, 2012
Ron S. from Knoxville, TN signed.
Jun 20th, 2012
Robert R. from Millington, TN signed.
Jun 20th, 2012
James R. from Greenback, TN signed.
Jun 20th, 2012
Sara M. from Rockvale, TN signed.
Ron W. from Bells, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
My job and other I know depend on the use of coal, shame on you for not supporting your people.
Jun 20th, 2012
Thomas G. W. from Crossville, TN signed.
Brenda M. from Ripley, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Just plan sick of it. We need jobs & Health Ins. Stop IT!!
Jun 20th, 2012
Frances V. P. from Crossville, TN signed.
Jun 20th, 2012
JoAnne E. from Knoxville, TN signed.
Richard B. from Morris Chapel, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
You are not the Alexander I voted for, WHY ARE YOU SUPORTING OBAMA????? Your vote for (roe vrs wade) judge has turned me against you and noe you are working aganist us by working for the EPA.
Someone from Lebanon, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
I called Lamar's Nashville office to voice my opinion. The haughty voice on the other end said, "And this resolution would do what?" Obviously, she thought I didn't even know what this whole thing is about. I answered that question, then she asked why I want him to vote yes. I said, "loss of jobs, for one thing." Her response: "Tennessee has already passed this, and the TVA ... blah, blah. He is opposed to it because he wants the states around TN to pass it to keep the pollution from drifting over to TN." I told her I did not call to be berated and questioned over why I hold my opinion. More blah, blah from her. I told her that God made the world to clean itself and recycle itself. No, I don't advocate polluting with total disregard, but God made the earth for man to use and to have dominion over. She asked for my zip code and hatefully said she would pass that on to Lamar, to which I said, "yes, and I'm sure you and he will have a good laugh, but that is where I stand." She blah, blahed some more, at which time I simply hung up. I normally am very kind to anyone and everyone I talk to, even telemarketers, but she was as condescending and hateful as anyone can be.This evening, I sent an email to Lamar telling him that this is a violation of states' rights, that this is just a little step in advancing Agenda 21, and that while the US produces less pollution than any other industrialized country, we continually are punished by more regulations. The Utility MACT Rule would cost us $9.6 billion per year, in addition to increasing the cost of energy to businesses and manufacturers, thus increasing the cost of consumer goods and putting some businesses out of business. We are being ruled by a bunch of brambles! (Judges 9:14)
Jun 20th, 2012
Dale A. from Murfreesboro, TN signed.
Michael C. from Columbia, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Stop siding with Obama and his Czars or you will need a new job too!!! You are a total disgrace to Tennessee!!!
Doyle D. from Cleveland, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Stand up for the people you said you would stand up for when you took office or get out! it's that simple!
Jun 20th, 2012
robert c. from Memphis, TN signed.
Marshall P. from Brentwood, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
These actions by a Tennessean is disgraceful!!! Won't get my vote next time!!
Jun 20th, 2012
Someone from Morristown, TN signed.
Someone from Crossville, TN writes:
Jun 20th, 2012
CHUCK D. from Oneida, TN signed.
Someone from Crossville, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Senator Alexander, your recent choices have been a severe disappointment and contrary to the people of Tennessee that you are obligated to represent. I hope that we are able to challenge you in the primary and replace you with a true conservative.
Brad W. from Martin, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
We can vote you out too. You are way too liberal, supporting this war on coal and baby killing......shame on you, what happened?
Jun 20th, 2012
Charles F. from New Johnsonville, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
Rachel C. from Harts, WV writes:
Quotation mark icon
I was just in Tennessee a week ago and I want to say we did have a good time and enjoyed ourselves very much so. My question to you Sen. Alexander is why is okay to blow off the tops of mountains (which I saw while standing in line at the NasCar Park in Pigeon Forge) okay to further their expansion to make more shopping malls, more parks or what have you? Is it okay to do this and tell us it's not right to blow our mountaintops off to make military training camps, golf course, which I am sure you might play a game or two or even our FBI building? Is that so wrong Sen. Alexander? I think you need to get your priorities in line, get what is right and wrong straightened out and stand for what is right and that is putting a stop the this high and mighty EPA. They are overstepping their authority and if they are not stopped the state that I love will soon become a ghost town. Coal mining has been in my family for generations, I am a proud coal miner's daughter of a retired 22 year coal miner. I thank the Lord for watching over my daddy during those 22 years and I am proud of my hertiage....Do what is right instead of thinking that your gonna get somewhere if you kiss someones hinney only to find out they would spit on you if you were on fire! Thanks and God Bless
Jun 19th, 2012
trinity a. from Elizabethton, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
Doug C. from Deer Lodge, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
You will have my thanks if you will support Sen Imholfe's SJ Res 37.
Jun 19th, 2012
Carl S. from Jackson, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
James J. from Union City, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
Someone from Memphis, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Stand up for Tennessee! Do not join Obama's war on coal. We will be watching you.
Jun 19th, 2012
Maria G. from Walland, TN signed.