Share:

Sen. Alexander, stop supporting Obama's war on coal!

Messages Sent So Far

(Not in Tennessee? Take action at our National Petition instead at www.WarOnCoal.com!)

In 2008, then-candidate Barack Obama explained his energy policy like this: “Under my plan of a cap-and-trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket. Even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad.” He went on to say: “So, if somebody wants to build a coal plant, they can — it’s just that it will bankrupt them.”

That’s really bad news for Tennessee, which relies on coal-fired power plants for 53 percent of its electricity. Yet, shockingly, Sen. Lamar Alexander is siding with Obama and his War on Coal.

The day after the 2010 election, Obama said: “Cap and trade was just one way of skinning the cat; it was not the only way. It was a means, not an end.”

Obama has used his Environmental Protection Agency bureaucrats to move forward on that plan. The linchpin is the “Utility Maximum Achievable Control Technology” rule, and it’s the most expensive EPA rule in history.

Fortunately, the Senate will soon have an opportunity to overturn the mercury rule when it votes on a resolution offered by Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla., under the Congressional Review Act, a specialized procedure that protects votes on overturning regulations from filibuster. The Inhofe resolution requires only 51 votes to invalidate the rule.

Unfortunately, Alexander has publicly stated that he will vote against the Inhofe resolution.  Worse, he is offering a phony bill that has no chance of passing, would only briefly delay the economic devastation of the Utility MACT rule, and serves no purpose but to attempt to provide himself and vulnerable Democrats with political cover for voting against the Inhofe Resolution.

That's wrong for Tennessee.

Urge Senator Lamar Alexander to reverse course on Utility MACT and stand up for Tennessee!

Public Comments
JAMES R. from Hillsboro, TN writes:
LOOK AT HOW MUCH PEOPLE WILL BE OUT OF WORK
durl h. from Louisville, OH writes:
Quotation mark icon
he had his 4 years for change and he changed everything for the worst. he is a poor leader. immigration ect.
Jun 19th, 2012
Melanie H. from Memphis, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
RAY K. from Brentwood, TN signed.
Robin R. from Dyersburg, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
In my opinion MACT is BAD for Tennessee! I support Sen. Inhofe's attempts to lighten these onerous regulations as do most of your constituents who understand Obama's war on coal and lack of an energy policy to fuel our economy. Please reverse course on this and support Sen. Inhofe's resolution!
Jun 19th, 2012
Michael R. from Murfreesboro, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
Someone from Lenoir City, TN signed.
Someone from Cottontown, TN writes:
Your fired
Jun 19th, 2012
Lea R. from Harriman, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
Debra G. from Ripley, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
Leslie C. from Chattanooga, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
Someone from Lenoir City, TN signed.
R. Joel O. from Knoxville, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Don't stand with Obama on this issue. Stand with the people. Obama's goal is to destroy our country. Is that also your goal?
Tim S. from Caryville, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Stop this all out war on cheap energy and good paying jobs! Do not be fooled by the "Amateur" in the White House. He wants to break our country.
Ava H. from Crossville, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
We need work in TN.not voting for anyone that supports Obama.
Jun 19th, 2012
Someone from Knoxville, TN signed.
Diane C. from Knoxville, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Do you people ever listen to the people that elected you ?? Stop all this nonsense... Remember where you came from and who you are working for... You work for WE THE PEOPLE !!!! not Obama....
Priscilla S. from Oak Ridge, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Think of Tennessee,that is who you are suppose to be working for!!
Jun 19th, 2012
Sharon W. from Chattanooga, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
Timothy E. from Monroe, VA signed.
Joe H. from Dyersburg, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Senator Alexander...with all due respects you are dead wrong on this one...and most folks in Tennessee realize that!!
Rita B. from Johnson City, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Dear Senator Alexander, I just read an article concerning cutting food stamps. $2 billion dollars worth. This actually infuriates me! How much of Congressional and Senate "expense budgets" are getting cut? I find it hard to believe that a Congressman or Senator is going to go HUNGRY!!! The outlandish GREED in our US Congress and Senate has to be stopped! Do you ELECTED OFFICALS not realize how you got your jobs? Do you not realize who pays your salary and benefits? I am so upset over the mindset that our elected officials seem to have, a superiority over the people who pay them. Let the hungry go hungry, but "we" the chosen CANNOT go without our luxuries. I'm sorry, you were once my hero, but now you have become one of them! YOU, Senator Alexander, have forgotten where you came from and what you used to stand for. Stop giving in to the "Let's reach across the aisle" ********. Because that is exactly what you have been doing. Take a stand! Put our government back to being a government for the people, by the people! I am glad that I am no longer a young person. I would not wish to have to live my life as a servant to our government. Please Senator Alexander....read this, study this message. Stop thinking about how YOU can better your life...but think about how YOU can better your countryman's life. Each of you swore an oath to uphold. Each of you have become hypocrites. Each of you live a life of luxury that most citizens know absolutely nothing about. CAN YOU imagine living on a budget of $2000.00 dollars a MONTH? CAN YOU SENATOR? Numerous families of 3 or 4, do this. Most of these families do not even qualify for food stamps. THINK ABOUT THIS! I would love to have your honest thoughts on this. I DO NOT LIKE THE WAY THE TIDE IS TURNING, SENATOR! Our leaders need to re-evalute theirselves and our country's needs. I wish I knew the words to make you and the rest of our elected officals WAKE THE HELL UP!
Someone from Nashville, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
It is unfathomable you could vote with Obama on this legislation. My guess is you are getting lobbyist money form backers of this outrageous proposed law. You have outlived your usefulness to the Tennessee voters. I certainly hope someone will rise up who is indeed conservative and mindful of the people the are supposed to represent. You sir have forgotten that!
Jun 19th, 2012
Someone from Bristol, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
Jim I. from Murfreesboro, TN signed.
Kent S. from Gallatin, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Depending on natural gas as the only source to provide light and comfort in MY home and its related government involvement would be absolute lunacy on my part. The United States Federal Government can manage NOTHING effectively. If you vote to approve this legislation, I will NOT vote for you again. Kent Smith 106 N. Scarbrough Court Gallatin, Tn 37066
Jun 19th, 2012
Someone from Memphis, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
garry s. from Baxter, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
Jim W. from Collierville, TN signed.
Jun 19th, 2012
jack u. from Bethpage, TN signed.
Richard B. from Knoxville, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
It's not politics it's patriotism, Obama is not a patriot. He is trying his dead level best to destroy our country. Anyone that sides with him as far as I'm concerned is just like him an enemy to our country.
Someone from Brighton, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
I will remember this when it comes to voting time again! I thought you were for the economy and for the people, apparently NOT if you are siding with obama! This will hurt the middle income people the most because they are the ones who are having to pay their bills with less (if they are even lucky to have a job) and this will only add a burden to them!
Jun 19th, 2012
randa p. from Friendship, TN signed.
Someone from La Follette, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
How can you vote with Obama on anything....he is not for AMERICA!!
Shawn C. from Franklin, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
I have voted for you every election. Vote with Obama, lose my vote. What a slap in the face to the voters of Tennessee.
Terry L. from Minor Hill, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Cap and Trade serves no purpose but to line the pockets of those who are trying to hoodwink the American consumer. We need ALL energy sources, we have the technology to make coal a cleaner safer part of the energy picture
Someone from Memphis, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
stop shoving the RINO Romney done my throat, I will not vote for him. And You should RETIRE!
Jun 19th, 2012
Ron C. from Harrison, TN signed.
Sherry S. from Sparta, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
why are supporting something that is going to cost all of us. Your leaving but your vote will stay on, think about all of us that will suffer for your voting for this bill
Milt K. from Johnson City, TN writes:
Quotation mark icon
Take another look at this bill